Ready to get started? Start your claim today! Make a Claim

Fresh inquest may shed light on mystery Deepcut shootings

The Guardian

Independent inquiry into recruit Cheryl James’s death in 1995 is ‘milestone’ in history of unexplained barracks deaths


Pte Cheryl James, who was found dead with a bullet wound in 1995. Photograph: PA

Twenty years after Pte Cheryl James, 18, was found dead with a bullet wound to her face a new inquest into her death opens on Monday that may shed light on the long-running mystery surrounding unexplained fatal shootings of young army recruits at Deepcut barracks in Surrey.

The fresh inquest follows a two-decade battle by James’s parents to force Surrey police to hand over crucial evidence concerning her death, which was treated as suicide even though their daughter was said to be in good spirits, cheerful, happy and enjoying army life.

Emma Norton, legal officer for human rights organisation Liberty, which has fought the case, said her parents were “finally getting an independent investigation into their daughter’s death. It has been recognised that questions they have been asking for 20 years are legitimate questions which are going to be examined, we hope, thoroughly and independently”.

James was one of four young recruits to die of gunshot wounds at Deepcut between 1995 and 2002. She was undergoing initial training as a recruit with the Royal Logistical Corps and died in November 1995 after being been posted alone, in battledress and armed with an SA80 rifle, to a gate at the barracks known as A2.

She was found at around 8.30am close to the gate in a small wooded area surrounded by trees with a single-entry bullet wound to the front of her head.

Surrey police almost immediately handed the investigation over to the Royal Military police special investigations branch. The original inquest, held three weeks after James’s death, lasted one hour and heard from seven witnesses. The coroner recorded an “open verdict” .

Liberty finally won a fresh inquest after threatening Surrey police with legal action under the Human Rights Act after the force consistently refused James’s parents, Desmond and Doreen, access to all their evidence in the case. The force then handed over more than 90 lever-arch files of forensic evidence, photographs, statements and other evidence.

A high court ruling in July 2014 said the original investigation by army police was “extremely limited and had flaws” and that there had been “an insufficiency of inquiry”.

The new inquest, by coroner Brian Barker QC, is expected to examine important material relating to ballistics, the finding of the body and the credibility of some witnesses as well as hearing from further witnesses. Pte James’s body was exhumed in August last year and bullet fragments recovered for a ballistics expert to analyse.

It will also examine whether there were shortcomings with barracks policies on sexual behaviour, supervision of young females, drugs, alcohol and accommodation. A pre-inquest hearing was told of material suggesting James “may have been sexually coerced or raped” shortly before her death.


The Defence College of Logistics at Deepcut, Surrey. Photograph: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

James was the second of the four recruits found dead at Deepcut. Sean Benton, 20, died in June 1995, Geoff Gray, 17, in September 2001 and James Collinson, 17, in March 2002.

During the original and subsequent investigations by army police and Surrey police, an early assumption was made that James had taken her own life.

Norton said the fact it had taken 20 years for an independent investigation should be “extraordinary and shocking”. “But hang on, it is not extraordinary at all, because that is what happened to all four of the Deepcut deaths. It is apparently not extraordinary, and it should be, that these young people who died so long ago were not given the benefit of an independent investigation and their families were shut out and treated with contempt. It is shameful that we have had to wait 20 years for this,” she said.

Of James’s parents’ tenacity, she said: “I say to the army, this is what happens if you investigate yourself. You can’t just expect parents to accept that their luminous, beautiful, happy daughter would be found dead with a bullet wound to the face and for them just to be told: ‘Trust us, it’s suicide.’ Not being told why, or with any, or not a great deal, of evidence, why she might have committed suicide. But ‘Trust us. Get on with life.’ It’s extraordinary.”

In 2002, Surrey police reinvestigated the deaths, concluding there was no evidence of third-party involvement. That inquiry was criticised in a review by Devon and Cornwall police, which concluded key officers in the force adopted a particular “mindset” in favour of suicide as the most likely explanation, which influenced the approach to the investigation.

In 2006, a further review by Nicholas Blake QC, concluded the deaths were most likely self-inflicted, but expressed deep concern at the treatment of young recruits at Deepcut barracks.

Writing for the Guardian, James’s father said: “My family would not have seen this day without the Human Rights Act. It secured us access to vital evidence regarding Cheryl’s death – evidence it suited the authorities to withhold.” Without that evidence there would have been no new inquest, he said.

Liberty applied to the attorney general for a fresh inquest into James’s death in October 2013. The following March the attorney general granted his “fiat” – the process whereby a case can be referred to the high court for a hearing to determine whether a fresh inquest ought to be ordered. In July 2014, the high court ordered a new inquest.

Norton said the high court order was “a really important milestone” for the family. “For the first time they felt somebody with authority and with the necessary power was listening to them.

“They weren’t just grieving relatives that weren’t able to cope. They were actually asking very serious credible questions that were entitled to be answered.”

Ready to speak to us? Let us help you.
Make your claim >>
0800 205 5556

Get a FREE callback

Complete the short form below and
we will get right back to you.


  • A very professional company of solicitors. I was very happy with the service you provided.
    by Stephen Stothard
  • Thank you for the work you have done on my behalf
    by Mr Roy Fox
  • Very good service, friendly and punctual.
    by Mr Kantilal Panchal
  • A special thanks to my claim handler who was always helpful and professional, he is a credit to your company. Thank you
    by Mr Colin Royston
  • My file handler/the firm has been fantastic from start to finish. Thank you
    by Miss Veronica Caruso
A proud member of

How much is your claim worth?

Compensation Calculator >>


One in three people with legal problems in UK develop health issues – report

One in three people with legal problems in UK develop health issues – report

The Guardian World Justice Project survey sheds new light on troubling link between legal issues and mental illness Almost one-third of those with legal

Police chief admits ‘cultural problem’ with evidence disclosure

Police chief admits ‘cultural problem’ with evidence disclosure

The Guardian CPS or forces’ failure to disclose stopped 900 criminal cases in England and Wales going ahead Police forces have a “cultural problem”





Need to speak to a solicitor? Call: 0800 205 5556


Tel: 01254 505090
Tel: 0800 205 5556

Harwood Solicitors
Suite 10 Freckleton Business Centre
Freckleton Street, Blackburn BB2 2AL

Contact us

Tel: 01254 505090
Tel: 0800 205 5556

Harwood Solicitors
Suite 5 Enterprise Centre
Furthergate, Blackburn BB1 3HQ

Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulations Authority: SRA ID 564347
Request a call back Compensation
Start Your Claim