Ready to get started? Start your claim today! Make a Claim

What do I do if the police charge me with an offence?

Make your claim >>

Can I just see you at Court?

No. As soon as you are charged you should make an appointment to come in and see us. We can then consider making a legal aid application or discussing our private client rates with you.

Legal Aid (Representation Order) is means tested for those over 18 appearing in a Magistrates’ Court. If you or your partner receive Income Support or JSA then you will qualify. You will also have to satisfy the Interests of Justice test.

If you are under 18 you will get Legal Aid if it is in the Interests of Justice. Means Testing is not relevant, unless you have a job. Your parents’ income is not relevant.

We will try to get the Prosecution papers before the Court hearing so we can read through them and form an opinion. Otherwise we shall see you at Court on the day you have been charged and we shall advise you then.

What will happen at Court?

Adjournments are not granted so easily by the Court as they used to be. You will probably have to enter a plea on your first appearance at Court.

If the plea is guilty you may be dealt with that day, or a few days later or 3 weeks later depending on how the Court wishes to punish you and whether or not Pre Sentence Reports are required and if they are, of what type.

If you plead not guilty then a Trial date will be set. If you don’t attend at the Trial then it can (indeed it is most likely that it will) proceed in your absence.

What punishment will I get?

That depends on the offence, your record of offending and the Court (i.e. the Magistrates or the Judge). However the Sentencing Guidelines Council has attempted to eradicate wild fluctuations and differences in sentencing by creating guidelines for Magistrates and Judges which suggest the appropriate punishment.

The most important thing is to contact Harwood Solicitors Expert Criminal Solicitors and Lawyers. It is far better if we are able to represent you whilst you are being interviewed by the police or any other authority. If you  have already been interviewed and charged you should contact us as soon as possible so that we can start to prepare your case for you.

Ready to speak to us? Let us help you.
Make your claim >>
0800 205 5556

Get a FREE callback

Complete the short form below and
we will get right back to you.


  • A very professional company of solicitors. I was very happy with the service you provided.
    by Stephen Stothard
  • Thank you for the work you have done on my behalf
    by Mr Roy Fox
  • Very good service, friendly and punctual.
    by Mr Kantilal Panchal
  • A special thanks to my claim handler who was always helpful and professional, he is a credit to your company. Thank you
    by Mr Colin Royston
  • My file handler/the firm has been fantastic from start to finish. Thank you
    by Miss Veronica Caruso
A proud member of

How much is your claim worth?

Compensation Calculator >>


One in three people with legal problems in UK develop health issues – report

One in three people with legal problems in UK develop health issues – report

The Guardian World Justice Project survey sheds new light on troubling link between legal issues and mental illness Almost one-third of those with legal

Police chief admits ‘cultural problem’ with evidence disclosure

Police chief admits ‘cultural problem’ with evidence disclosure

The Guardian CPS or forces’ failure to disclose stopped 900 criminal cases in England and Wales going ahead Police forces have a “cultural problem”





Need to speak to a solicitor? Call: 0800 205 5556


Tel: 01254 505090
Tel: 0800 205 5556

Harwood Solicitors
Suite 10 Freckleton Business Centre
Freckleton Street, Blackburn BB2 2AL

Contact us

Tel: 01254 505090
Tel: 0800 205 5556

Harwood Solicitors
Suite 5 Enterprise Centre
Furthergate, Blackburn BB1 3HQ

Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulations Authority: SRA ID 564347
Request a call back Compensation
Start Your Claim